Can I Make Changes to My Taxes After I Filed?

Discovered a mistake after you e-filed? Don’t panic, you can fix it. However, you won’t be able to make any changes until you see if the IRS accepts or rejects the return. You will receive an acknowledgement email within 24 to 48 hours.

What do I do if my return is rejected?

If your federal tax return is rejected, you may log back into your return to fix the cause for rejection and to make any additional changes. There is no charge to re-file a rejected return. Please note that when your federal return was rejected, your state return was NOT filed. You will need to e-file both returns.

Can I fix my return after it's been accepted?

If the IRS accepts your federal return, you may have to file an amended return using Form 1040-X to fix the mistake. The IRS recommends amending your return if you incorrectly reported your filing status, dependents, total income, tax credits or deductions. You don’t have to redo the whole process, just enter the corrections, and explain why you’re changing your original return.

To make changes to a state tax return that was already accepted, you will also need to file an amended state return.

Can you amend a tax return electronically?

Yes, federal amended tax returns (Form 1040-X) can now be filed electronically. If you prepared your original return with, we can walk you through the process step-by-step. Our program also supports the e-filing of certain state amended tax returns. These states are NY, CA, MI, PA, and WI. All other supported state returns can be amended through our program and paper filed.

How do I file my amended return electronically?

Before you do anything, make sure you download a copy of the original return. It will no longer be available once you amend it.

You will be able to amend your return by clicking the "Amend my 2023 return" link on your "myAccount" page.

All mailing instructions will be listed on the first page of your amended return printout if you are required to paper file your state amended return.

Are you ready to start your return?