Should I Use the AGI From My Amended Tax Return?

If you filed an amended tax return last year, which adjusted gross income (AGI) amount should you use? The answer is simple, always go with the AGI from your original return. Do not use the AGI listed on your amended tax return or a return corrected by the IRS.

What happens if I use the wrong AGI on my tax return?

If the AGI you enter doesn’t match what the IRS has on file, they will reject your tax return. You will need to find out your correct AGI and refile your return.

How to find your prior year AGI

If you used tax preparation software last year, you should be able to get a copy of your return from them. Your AGI is on line 11 of your 2022 Form 1040. If you filed late, didn’t file last year, or are a first-time filer over the age of 16, use “0” as your AGI.

Can’t get a copy of your return? No problem. You can visit the IRS Get Your Tax Record page to request your tax transcript online (fastest method) or by mail. Transcripts by mail take 5-10 days to arrive. Alternatively, you can call the IRS’ automated phone transcript service at 800-908-9946.

Are you ready to start your return?