Missing Your W-2?

By January 31st, you should have received a Form W-2 from each of your employers. It's always a good idea to keep copies of all your pay statements in case you need to refer to them when filing your taxes.

If you haven't received your Form W-2 by January 31st, follow these three steps:

  1. Contact your employer(s) - Contact your employer to inquire when your Form W-2 was made available or mailed. If the form was mailed, it may have been returned because of an incorrect address. After contacting the employer, allow a reasonable amount of time for them to resend your Form W-2 or make it available to you.
  2. Contact the IRS - Contact the IRS for assistance at 800-829-1040 after February 15th if you are unable to obtain your Form W-2 from your employer(s). When you call, you must provide your name, address, city, state, zip code, Social Security number and phone number. You must also have the following information:

    • Your employer's name, address, city, state, zip code and phone number
    • Dates of employment
    • Estimate of the wages you earned, the federal income tax withheld, and when you worked for that employer during the income year. (The estimate should be based on year-to-date information from your final pay stub or leave and earnings statement, if possible.)

  3. File your return on time - You still must file your tax return or request an extension to file by the April 18, 2023, filing deadline, even if you have not received your Form W-2. If you have not received your Form W-2 by April 18th, and have completed Steps 1 and 2 above, you may use Form 4852*, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. Attach Form 4852 to your return, estimating income and withholding taxes as accurately as possible. There may be a delay in any refund due until the IRS can verify the information.

If you receive your missing Form W-2 after you filed, AND the information is different from what you reported on Form 4852, you must amend your return using Form 1040X*, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

*Forms 4852 and 1040X are available on IRS.gov (https://www.irs.gov), or by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676). Our program currently does not support Form 4852.

Are you ready to start your return?