Reading Time: 2 minutes

Betting on a tax refund this year? Although many filers get a refund, it’s not guaranteed. Even if you had taxes withheld from your paycheck all year, there’s still a possibility that you underpaid. Experiencing big changes in your personal finances can also impact your taxes. If you’ve gone through any of the following situations in 2022, you may you owe the IRS in April.  So, start saving now.

1. You collected unemployment benefits

Lost your job? Got laid off? Yes, collecting unemployment benefits can help you keep a roof over your head, but many people don’t realize that it’s not free money.  Unemployment benefits are taxable. Depending on where you live, you’ll have to pay state taxes in addition to federal. The best thing to do is request to have taxes withheld upfront by completing form W-4V. Another option is to set aside a portion of each check so at least you’ll have the funds readily available when you file. Remember, you can do your taxes and file a simple return FREE when you use ezTaxReturn.

2. You withdrew money from your retirement account

Your retirement account is meant for just that – your retirement! If you make a withdrawal from a traditional IRA and dip into your retirement early (before age 59 ½), you need to pay taxes on the funds withdrawn. In addition, you’ll pay the IRS a 10% early withdrawal penalty. If you are over 59 1/2 years in age, you won’t incur a penalty. There are also other exceptions to the 10% penalty rule if you dip into your retirement prematurely. For example, some IRA plans allow withdrawals for qualified higher education expenses. Buying a home? First-time home buyers also may not be penalized up to $10,000.

3. You got a raise or a better paying job

Congratulations on your new salary! But remember, when your income increases, your taxes increase too.  Anytime you experience a change in your finances, it’s a good idea to use a withholding calculator to ensure you’re paying the appropriate amount of taxes. If too little is withheld, you’ll owe Uncle Sam at tax time. But if you overpay, you’ll get the money back as a tax refund. Adjusting your withholding is easy, just complete and submit a new W-4 to your employer.

4. You no longer qualify for some credits and deductions

Enjoy the tax breaks while you can because there’s no guarantee you’ll be eligible for the same ones in the future. As life changes, so will your tax situation. For example, many parents benefit from the child tax credit. It is worth up to $2,000 per child, but your dependent must be 16 or younger at the end of 2022 to qualify. If your child celebrated their 17th birthday last year, you can’t use them to claim the credit anymore. But don’t worry, there are other money-saving tax breaks that ezTaxReturn can help you find and claim! Ready to file? 

Do your taxes the fast and ez way in 30 minutes or less!